Banned Books Week 2011
If it’s the end of September, it’s Banned Books Week! This is the annual awareness campaign that draws attention to censorship and is the only national celebration of the freedom to read.
This year, instead of the physical "Read-Out" events, ALA (American Library Association) has partnered with fellow cosponsors of Banned Books Week to host a virtual "Read-Out" where readers from around the world will be able to participate.
- Videos (no more than two minutes long) can be submitted by anyone as long as the video includes a reading from a banned or challenged book.
- Alternatively, videos of up to three minutes can be submitted giving eyewitness accounts of local challenges.
- All videos will be featured on the dedicated Banned Books Week Virtual Read-Out YouTube channel.
- Any individual who would like to participate in the event can find instructions on the new Banned Books Week website under Virtual Read-Out.
- YouTube videos of authors reading from their favorite banned/challenged book or talking about the importance of the freedom to read will also be featured.
- by Jrosie